Create a flavoursome supper of fennel-spiced meatballs and seasonal Brussels sprouts with this simple recipe.
Approximate nutrition per serving: 371kcal / 27.4g fat / 15.6g saturated fat / 12.6g total carbohydrates / 5g fibre / 7.6g net carbohydrates / 23.4g protein.
For the meatballs:
- 200g organic, free-range pork mince
- ¼ red onion (about 25g), very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
For the Brussels sprouts:
- 150g Brussels sprouts
- ½ red onion (about 50g), finely chopped
- 10g fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Melt one tablespoon of butter into a large ceramic dish.
- Roughly grind the fennel seeds in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar until they are slightly broken down.
- Add the pork mince, chopped onion, crushed garlic, fennel seeds, and a pinch of sea salt into a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Form small meatballs and place into the ceramic dish.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for 20-24 minutes, turning the meatballs occasionally.
- Approximately 10 minutes before the meatballs are ready, use a food processor to shred the Brussels sprouts.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Over a medium heat, gently sauté the sprouts, red onion, grated ginger, ground coriander, and a pinch of sea salt for about 8 minutes, or until the sprouts are cooked.
- Once the meatballs are ready, add them and any extra juices to the frying pan containing the Brussels sprouts. Stir well to incorporate.
- Serve with roughly torn fresh coriander sprinkled on top.