A quick, flavoursome breakfast to fuel your morning!
I always eat eggs for breakfast. They are a delicious brainfood which are inexpensive and simple to prepare. Throughout the week I eat soft-boiled eggs as time is limited, but over the weekend I like to let loose, adding bacon and asparagus into the mix. Take a leaf out of my book and try this recipe – you will not be disappointed!
Approximate nutrition per serving: 448kcal / 34.4g fat / 7g saturated fat / 3.3g total carbs / 1.6g fibre / 1.7g net carbs / 31.4g protein.
- 4 organic, free-range eggs
- 40g asparagus tips
- 30g pastured bacon, chopped
- 30g leek, finely sliced
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- A small handful of fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan).
- Lightly steam the asparagus for 1-2 minutes to soften. Set aside.
- In a small, oven-proof frying pan, melt the butter over a low-medium heat, add the bacon and half of the leek. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until the bacon is nearly cooked.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs until combined and set aside.
- Finely slice the asparagus, then add to the pan with the remaining leek, a pinch of sea salt, and a few torn basil leaves. Stir briefly before adding the eggs.
- Transfer from the stovetop to the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked, abut 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with extra basil.