These scrumptious fish cakes, paired with the tangy pickled cucumber, are ideal for a Paleo and Ketogenic lunch on-the-go!
Traditional fish cakes use potato as a filler but I decided to replace it with a nutritious, low-carb vegetable, broccoli, to create a lighter texture. These fish cakes are a powerhouse of nutrients, providing ample protein, omega-3 fats, and a plethora of micronutrients thanks to the broccoli. If your children (or you!) struggle to eat enough vegetables, adding them into a fish cake is one tasty way to boost your intake!
Salmon & Ginger Fish Cakes (makes 9)
Approximate nutrition per 3 fish cakes: 227kcal / 10g fat / 3.8g saturated fat / 6.9g total carbohydrates / 3.1g fibre / 3.8g net carbohydrates / 27.4g protein.
- 310g wild Sockeye salmon (or 2 cans, drained)
- 200g organic broccoli, cut into small florets
- 15g fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 lemon, sliced into small segments (see photograph)
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter for greasing
Quick Pickled Cucumber:
Approximate nutrition per 1⁄3 recipe: 11kcal / 0.1g fat / 2.4g total carbohydrates / 0.3g fibre / 2.1g net carbohydrates.
- 200g organic cucumber
- 4 teaspoons organic, raw, unfiltered, unpasteurised apple cider vinegar (ACV)
Optional extras to serve:
- Rocket salad
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan). Grease a large ceramic dish with butter.
- Lightly steam the broccoli until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and blitz until the mixture resembles a rough crumb.
- Add ¾ of the salmon, grated ginger, and sea salt to the food processor and blend again until well-combined. Flake the remaining salmon into the mixture and briefly stir.
- Form fish cakes and place into the dish. Cook in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until hot in the middle. Halfway through cooking, flip the fish cakes and place lemon segments on top.
- In the meantime, use a potato peeler to finely slice the cucumber lengthways/ Then, cut the ribbons into thirds, lengthways, to form thin strips. Transfer to a bowl with the ACV and marinate.
- Serve the fish cakes with an extra squeeze of lemon juice, pickled cucumber, and dressed rocket salad.