Spiced cabbage parcels are ideal to make for a zingy, light lunch. The cabbage is a tasty low carb alternative to traditional wraps, as well as providing extra nutrients. Paired with baked sweet potato chips, this is one of my family’s favourite Paleo-friendly meals.
Approximate nutrition per 2 parcels: 358 kcal / 24.5g fat / 11g saturated fat / 13.8g total carbs / 4.9g fibre / 8.9g net carbs / 20.5g protein.
- 200g organic free-range chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g red onion, finely sliced (optional)
- 4 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 20g fresh ginger, grated
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed ghee / butter / extra-virgin coconut oil
- 4 Savoy cabbage leaves
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- Coconut cream / yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Cocktail sticks
- Soak the cocktail sticks in water.
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, ground coriander seeds, cumin, fennel, ginger, and chilli to make a paste. Add the chicken and mix until all pieces are coated.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan).
- In a large frying pan, melt the ghee before adding the onions. Once they have started to soften, add the chicken and cook through, stirring regularly.
- Approximately 5-7 minutes before the chicken is ready, lightly steam the cabbage leaves until tender.
- Place the chicken, a squeeze of lime juice, and some fresh coriander into the middle of the cabbage leaves and wrap, using cocktail sticks to secure. As each parcel is assembled, place into the oven to keep warm.
- Serve with coconut cream / yoghurt and enjoy!