Quick, delicious, and an excellent ratio of fats, protein, and carbs, this recipe ticks all the boxes for a ketogenic meal.
Approximate nutrition per serving: 535kcal / 42.2g fat / 15.2g saturated fat / 12.5g total carbs / 6.3g fibre / 6.2g net carbs / 26.3g protein.
- 1 can of whole sardines, drained
- 8-10 whole black olives
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 2 or more tablespoons grass-fed ghee / butter
- 1 bag fresh, organic spinach, about 200g
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Slice the sardines in half lengthways. Cutting the belly is the easiest method.
- Pit and finely chop the olives. Mix with half the rosemary and the zest of half a lemon.
- Fill the sardines with the black olive mixture and skewer the halves together using a cocktail stick (see photo).
- If cooking the sardines, place them into a ceramic dish with a small knob of ghee, and into the oven until warmed through, about 12 minutes.
- Gently steam the spinach until wilted, under 5 minutes. Once cooked, transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining ghee, rosemary, and the juice of half a lemon.
- Serve the sardines on a bed of spinach with a touch more lemon zest and a sprinkle of sea salt.