Ghee has wonderful health benefits and the slightly sweet, nutty flavour is a great addition to recipes. Since becoming healthier myself, I gain a great deal of pleasure in sharing delicious recipes and knowledge with family and friends; gifting flavoured ghees kills two birds with one stone! Not only are you giving something tasty to enhance meals, you are also spreading the message that high-quality, nutritional fat is an important part of the diet.
How to make ghee
- 4 packs of 250g grass-fed unsalted butter, I use Kerrygold. This makes 5 jars worth of ghee, see photograph.
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 fine cheesecloth
- 5 glass jars
- Wooden spoon
- Chop the butter into cubes and place into a large saucepan.
- Turn on the hob to the lowest setting.
- Allow the ghee to melt and simmer gently.
- The ghee will separate and a white foam will form on top. It is not necessary to scrape this off.
- Stir occasionally.
- After a minimum of half an hour, the milk solids will start to sink to the bottom of the pan and the butter will start to clear, leaving ghee.
- Once the milk solids start to brown and the liquid is clear, the ghee is ready.
- Strain through a very fine cheesecloth into a pouring jug and then transfer to jars. Please take care as the ghee will be very hot.
- Place into the fridge to cool. Any flavours need to be added when the ghee is half-set otherwise they will sink to the bottom. I like to gently stir the ghee regularly whilst it’s setting to ensure the flavours are evenly distributed.
- Keep in cool cupboard or fridge as ghee is softer than butter at room temperature.
Ginger and rosemary
I love this versatile flavour combination; it works well with steak, vegetables or blended in a mug of bone broth.
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh ginger juice. (Grate two large thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger and use a spoon to squeeze the juice through a sieve.)
- 1-2 tablespoons finely ground fresh rosemary
I use vanilla ghee in my Bulletproof Coffee every morning. Give vanilla ghee as a gift and show the recipient how to make Bulletproof Coffee to completely transform their mornings!
- 1 teaspoon VanillaMax, or any other high-quality ground vanilla
Lemon and thyme
This is delicious with fish, chicken or blended in tea.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A few sprigs of fresh lemon thyme / thyme