This makes a great substitute for regular hot chocolate and malt drinks as it’s free from preservatives, artificial sugars and flavourings. I enjoy this creamy drink before bedtime, particularly when using collagen protein as it aids tissue repair and muscle growth, both of which occur during sleep.
Makes 3 servings
Approximate nutrition per serving: 183 kcal / 16.1g fat / 15g saturated fat / 5.5g total carbs / 0.4g fibre / 4g protein.
- 4 cups mineral water
- 160ml BPA-free can of coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons gelatinised maca, I use Sevenhills Wholefoods
- 1 teaspoon cacao
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil, I use Brain Octane
- ½ teaspoon VanillaMax
- 1 tablespoon Upgraded Collagen protein (optional)
- Warm the water in a large saucepan. Add the coconut cream and stir.
- Add the maca, cacao, MCT oil, vanilla, and collagen if using. Transfer to a blender and blend until well-combined.
- Enjoy on a cold winter’s evening or cool and drink as an energising afternoon tonic.