This is one of my favourite brunch dishes. It provides an optimal proportion of fats and protein with minimal carbs, vital for an energy-packed day.
Requiring minimal prep and cooking time, this recipe is ideal as a quick breakfast before work or on a lazy Sunday morning.
Approximate nutrition per serving: 430kcal / 35.3g fat / 13.2g saturated fat / 5.4g total carbs / 3.5g fibre / 22.6g protein.
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet
- 2 handfuls organic kale
- 1 free-range egg, I use Clarence Court
- 1 tablespoon butter / ghee
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grate the zest of half a lemon onto the mackerel fillet, wrap in tin foil and place onto a tray.
- Place in the oven and warm through, usually about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, steam the kale until cooked, about 7 minutes.
- When the mackerel and kale are nearly ready, poach the egg for 4 minutes. This gives a runny yolk but cooked white.
- Transfer the kale to a bowl, grate in the remaining zest of the lemon, add half of the tablespoon of butter / ghee and combine well.
- Serve the poached egg on top of the mackerel, on a bed of kale with a sprinkle of sea salt and the remaining butter / ghee.