These delicious, low-carb coconut balls are an ideal sweet treat without the energy crashes, headaches and inflammation caused by typical sugary treats. With only three ingredients, I believe these are far superior to many “healthy” energy balls available in shops. I often make a batch of these at the weekend and have them throughout the week as pudding or a snack.
Makes about 16 balls
Nutrition per ball: 112 kcal, 10.4g fat / 8.8 saturated fat / 3.5g total carbs / 2.2g fibre / 1.3g net carbs / 1.1g protein.
- 250g organic desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla, I use VanillaMax
- 20g 100% dark chocolate
- Place the desiccated coconut into a food processor and blend for 10 minutes. I do this in intervals as my food processor is relatively old.
- When the coconut has started to release its oils and become creamy, (similar texture to that of a thick, glaze icing) add the vanilla and blitz again to distribute.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and place in the fridge for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the mixture is firm enough, form balls and place back in the fridge for a few minutes whilst melting the chocolate. Melt half of the chocolate, then remove from the heat and break up the remaining 10g and stir into the melted chocolate. This creates an ideal temperature for drizzling.
- Remove the coconut balls from the fridge and drizzle with chocolate.
- Place back into the fridge to set.
Keep in an airtight container, in a cool, dark cupboard.