Carrot and coriander soup has always been a comforting favourite of mine. However, unlike the cartoned ones on offer in the supermarket, this simple recipe is full of nourishing ingredients and devoid of unhealthy fats, sugars and thickening agents.
This recipe is an ideal addition to a carb refeed due to its balance of ingredients, particularly if you are following Bulletproof Protein Fasting.
Approximate nutrition per serving: 275kcal / 14.3g fat / 8.5g saturated fat / 27.9g total carbs / 8.3g fibre / 19.6g net carbs / 8.7g protein (with collagen, 319kcal and 19.7g protein).
- 450g organic carrots, diced
- 1 shallot, about 50g, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 500ml vegetable stock / chicken bone broth
- 2 handfuls fresh coriander with a few leaves to serve
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil / grass-fed ghee / butter
- 1 scoop grass-fed collagen protein (optional but recommended)
- Sea salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large pan and add the carrots, onion and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the carrots start to soften.
- Add the ground coriander and stir to ensure all the vegetables are coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a soup maker along with the stock and a pinch of sea salt, and bring to the boil. Alternatively, simply add the stock and cook all the ingredients in the same pan.
- Once simmering, cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients together in the soup maker. Or, if cooked in a pan, transfer to a food processor and blend.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil along with the fresh coriander and purée mixture again until a thick, smooth consistency is achieved.
- Serve with a few leaves of coriander sprinkled on top.